Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SAW DUST IN SUMMER

As the magic dust of New York City fades into the background, my world of architects, saw dust and demolition comes back into focus.

My morning was spent walking through a science fiction landscape of plastic-lined interiors.  The plastic was to contain ceiling debris.  (I forgot to bring my camera to the house.  It would have been fun to shoot these futuristic isolations in each room.)  Flatforms stood in for thick-soled construction shoes on site. And somehow, an architectural summer frock, the color of saw dust, also seemed apt.

Architectural dress: from vacation in Asia
Cardigan: Claude Pierlot, Paris
Necklace: I made it!
Sunglasses: Marc Jacobs
Flatforms: Michael Kors

This dress has a really strange shape, with rectangular flaps on the side.  The breezy fabric makes it hang asymmetrically rather than structurally.  


Architectural dress: from vacation in Asia
Cardigan: Claude Pierlot, Paris
Necklace: I made it!
Sunglasses: Marc Jacobs
Flatforms: Michael Kors


Interestingly, this saw dust dress walked the streets of NYC on my last day.  I finally devoted my last hour in the city to shopping,  an activity I had refrained from for several days.  Hunters can find great deals in Madison Avenue's high-end consignment shops.  I could have sworn it was Hanneli Mustaparta who chatted with me regarding an ochre Catherine Malandrino dress I found too tight (that she then took to try on). This stylish lady was nice enough to admire the white, Philip Lim dress that fortunately did fit me.  She was tall, model slender, with the same jaw bone and beautiful smile accompanied by a Nordic accent.  Possibly her?  Right before she went to Paris?  I wonder.  I often run into famous people in NYC doing the most mundane things, especially back when I lived here in the Upper East Side.  But that's a separate story.

***

Aside to Bloggers:  Photographing myself still doesn't come easy.  It's easier to hide behind trees -- which I was doing here!  Do you ever feel self-conscious in front of the lens?


18 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about photographing! I never know what to do with myself, and if it's a friend taking the picture I feel even more self conscious because they don't really understand what I'm going for with the photograph. For me blogging is sort of an intimate, raw and personal thing because fashion isn't something that comes up in my day to day life and environment. My deepest darkest fear is that someone I know will stumble upon my blog and think I am ridiculous for taking pictures of what I'm wearing...

    By the way thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely. The pose is very natural. I want those flatforms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the photos...i don't know why but i don't feel awkward taking my own photos..but it is so frustrating when the result comes out blurry and there's nothing to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm I wonder if it was her, interesting!! Looking gorgeous darling x

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely outfit
    I love your necklace, what did you use?
    I agree with you about photographing and I can only reiterate what "the Pink Monocle" has written in her comment...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ladies.
    @Claudia - I strung some blackish grey stones (can't remember what rock they were) on a black, suede rope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think being photographed is a thing you get very slowly used to. but even though you're not totally at ease, you look always gorgeous on the photos, you have an incredible inner elegance (maybe because you're a dancer) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always feeling awkward when I pose.
    I love this outfit! The dress is amazing!
    xx
    http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look lovely. I also like the location. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm thats the thing I love about NYC.. You run into models, celebrities or anyone famous and no one pays attention to them and they just walk along the streets or into the stores like everyday people.. Loving this look by the way..

    All the best, Angel

    ReplyDelete
  11. @MInnja, thank you. I am SO HONORED and thrilled. I will work on posting the Blog Award with all the requirements ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally understand you!You look natural and I love your dress.
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm normally not so much into asymmetric shapes, but this dress is really beautiful (and looks great on you).
    I once met (and photographed) Hanneli at London Fashion Week - model, nordic accent... must be her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely look! The dress is so sweet :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Dear Fellow Aesthetes, I love hearing your thoughts. I think the other readers find them valuable too! Much love xxx

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...