Tuesday, September 17, 2013

DALI'S MUSTACHE

Mustache makeover, anyone?

Dali lathed his in wax. Groucho Marx' matched his brows.  Chaplin was fine with half.

What a menu ...  I think I'll try Dali's.

Tiered tulle skirt: charity shop treasure haul!



Whoops.  I guess not.  Even the book is laughing at me!



It's easy to adopt Surrealist habits when one spends a lot of time with them.  Or even if not.  This gem of an art book - a collaboration between Salvador Dalí and LIFE photographer, Philippe Halsman - takes only 10 minutes of your life and adds back more.  Life Surreal is hilarious.  

In case you're wondering why Dalí popped up here, I was in a meeting when colleagues noted I was dressed like Audrey Hepburn, ponytail and all (which you see here).  "Dali's Mustache" was published in 1954, around the height of Hepburn's popularity.  Dalí and his mustache were celebrities as well.  Alright, it makes no sense but perhaps that is Dalî's paranoiac critical method at work.




8 comments:

  1. Dali's Mustache looks like a good read. Must try and get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I didn't realize that you could be so hilarious! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the Audrey Hepburn look but I am tall and have a large frame and so it has been best not to try. I like myself in other things, but the failure to become Audrey has been one of the minor frustrations of my life :)

    I have never liked moustaches. My uncle had one and when he ever kissed me hello I always felt a bit repelled (poor old Uncle). The moustache was all bristly and alien and... well, just seemed to a six year old as if he had a caterpillar on his upper lip. WEIRD. Still, I do think they can create very interesting fashion accessories. I am always intrigued by the ones which are waxed to a fine point.

    Yes, that looks like an interesting book. One to add to the pile...


    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought that book for myself in my teens, have always adored it! I love your homage to Dali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ha I love these playful images.
    Yep I have been very luck and have been traveling - I see you have been too. I will catch up with your other posts properly soon. NY was indeed amazing. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me smile a lot, especially the placing of yourself in relation to the painting behind.
    Now that you've turned my thoughts to Dali, I can't help imagining as an addition to the Dali 'Lips' sofa, a moustache-shaped, sculpted throw that would lie across the top of the sofa back, with curled up ends. I wonder if it has been done already? I'm sure it must have been. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Rosalind, that is a brilliant thought! I don't know if anyone has thought of it, but you certainly did. :) - J xx

      Delete

Dear Fellow Aesthetes, I love hearing your thoughts. I think the other readers find them valuable too! Much love xxx

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...