Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A WRINKLE IN TIME

Before embarking on travel of another kind, check out Bucket List Nation.  BLN features various bloggers' trips and insider tips.  I was thrilled when the editor, Kalyn, enlisted me for a collaboration on my recent coastal holiday, targeted for Friday (though I haven't seen it yet).

This brings me to the travel in this post, the kind that journeys to distant times and distant lands.

Wouldn't it be great to have a magic portal -- a secret doorway or a mathematical singularity -- that we could step through to other eras or universes?  If modern physics is on track with String Theory, multiple universes may actually co-exist with our "here and now."  Unfortunately, the only wrinkles in time I ever encounter are folds in old fabric.




The easiest alternative: eclectic ensembles.  Here, Edwardian top hat shares space with Juicy Couture heels.  A leather, handwritten diary steps in for the iPad.  Modern asymmetry throws off the period mix.  What dimension am I in now? 






Occasionally, I'll pair up "exotic", vintage fabrics from the East with "traditional", modern Western ones.  (Note: I hail from a tropical island nation so western garb is actually more exotic to me.)  This gets my time travel all mixed up!






Teaser of my feathered fascinator
I plan to wear it to an October wedding in NYC

Where do your outfits transport you?


Notes on the Shoot:
Styling was prompted by The Hat Shop purchases in Carmel as well as my reading matter.  (I am thoroughly enjoying writer/blogger Jenny Woolf's insights into the life of Lewis Carroll.)  Hooray, too, for the Maxi trend.  I get to use my floor length skirts which I love to wear even during the day!  This skirt is made of parachute silk and I love the asymmetry, gatherings and floral detail.  The Armani blazer is also subtly asymmetric.  Photography inspired by Richard Avedon.


Hat and fascinator:  from The Hat Shop, Carmel-by-the-Sea
Blazer: Emporio Armani
Skirt: designer consignment from San Francisco
Shoes:  Juicy Couture heels and BCBG wedges
Photos: The Foolish Aesthete

31 comments:

  1. Wow! These photos and the clothes are just wonderful. Absolutely. Lovely post- I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of my favourites from you!you mind if i put up one photo on my pinterest board as inspiration??
    the photos are marvelous.the idea of parallel universes fascinates me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Is that you in that photo? You look like a heroine from a bygone era. What gorgeous shots! I LOVE what you're wearing! I've heard of that universe theory - wouldn't that be great?

    ReplyDelete
  4. eye-catching style in these pictures. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic black and white photos that really emphasize the interesting shape of this outfit. I love the mix of eras and time but I also love the mix of extra femininity and the touch of masculinity brought by the hat and the blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shots! How differently a black and white photo brings out a detail, an expression, even a feeling. And the light in these photos is amazing.
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos..
    I love your inspiration
    Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Songbird - thank you, I'm flattered. Feel free to put it up on pinterest.
    @Veshoevius - Yes, that's me in the images! If it doesn't look that me, it's due to the chameleon powers of theater. I am using one of my curly hair pieces from the Victorian Act I of "The Nutcracker" !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations at showing at BLN will check out your post there tomorrow. Looks like a lovely site. Great shots and cool inspiration. Avedon was a genius. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look GORGEOUS girl! I really like it your outfit especially the skirt.
    And congratulations on the feature in BLN... its well deserved!

    Have a beautiful week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love the photos, and your attire takes me far, far away into the pass.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are sooooooo cool! Amazing!
    Xx
    http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, this is too fabulous! Love the hat and that skirt is divine too. I see this as a time travel fashion fusion. The next best thing to actual globetrotting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These pictures are truely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that You decided to take B&W photos for this look. You look stunning.
    My look of the day depend of my mood, place and occasion.

    xoxo Ra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love your skirt!!! I want it!

    Xx

    http://chelseasgirl.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, and what an amazing skirt! I always dreamt of having a flying carpet... X

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW,cool pictures!!!The 1st one is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are stunning

    www.clothesmaiden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes i’d love a portal to time travel and the wardrobe that goes with each destination !!... stunning picture.
    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete
  21. great images... the b&w makes them look really cool! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. u have great style in previous posts too. following u!

    Follow me on:
    Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post is truly fantastic. I love the top hat and the whole outfit is truly awesome, same goes for the pictures. Love Richard Avedon.

    And goodness portal through time?! Yes please!! I'm currently reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which is on String Theory, what a coincidence. XD

    As always, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Cheers,
    San

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this look! I guess I'm very fond of mixing time zones and decades- I pretend I'm a person from the past who has time travelled to the future and you look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @San - Everything I know about string theory is from Brian Greene's 2 books which I thoroughly enjoyed. Like a groupie, I even asked my friend who is a Columbia U professor if she's spotted him on campus (I also hear he rates as "very cute" for a Physicist!). Alas, no such luck since she was from a different department. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing outfit and pictures!!! Can't wait to see more....

    ReplyDelete
  27. bucket list nation is such an incredible website for travel tips and ideas. i love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the love! I noticed the owner of the hat shop commented on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Fellow Aesthetes, I love hearing your thoughts. I think the other readers find them valuable too! Much love xxx

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...