Tuesday, October 4, 2011

ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE

All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players
                 -- from "As You Like It" by William Shakespeare


These words gained new meaning this weekend at my cousin's wedding in New York City.

The stage at the Hudson Theater for my cousin's wedding
The wedding program was on a Playbill
with head shots & bios of the Newlyweds and Bridal Party

My cousin, the Bride -- born and bred in New York and a lifelong devotee of Broadway musical theater -- held her wedding reception at the historic Hudson Theater in Times Square.  She and her brothers often entertained our family gatherings with song & dance routines from the Great White Way.  This time, the Groom joined the Family Act and got onstage too.


Details of he Hudson Theater, historical landmark building from 1903
Ethel Barrymore and Louis Armstrong performed on this stage
The mosaic tiles are original Louis Comfort Tiffany

The Newlyweds got to star in their own romantic musical.  The wedding show even came with its own Playbill, possibly designed by the Groom himself, who is a graphic designer.  Like all Playbills, this came complete with Bridal Party bios and head shots.

OK, everyone always demands to see the Bride's gown.  Here it is.  She told me the corset was laced up exactly like traditional corsets.  So, she endured quite a bit of tugging at the party, what with a few "costume changes" back and forth into the wedding gown.

The Newlyweds star in their own Love Story

Back to the show.  It was altogether fitting that the Bride's brother, my other cousin, opened up the "show" with "Something's Coming" from West Side Story.

Bride's brother, my cousin too, opening with
"Something's Coming" from West Side Story

The Newlyweds soon followed, portraying their forbidden romance with a sexy Salsa number.

The Newlyweds impressed us with some
really good Salsa dancing

We had a blast gazing up at the Wedding Cake in the royal Box.  I kept daring my niece to tip it overboard (she's more like a cousin, in her twenties).  She was wiser than her naughty auntie and satisfied herself by jumping from below in an attempt to reach it, like Tantalus, grasping for elusive branches.  The Newlyweds did give us the Perón wave during the Cake Cutting ceremony.

The cake was perched up in the royal Box
so the Cake Cutting Scene was rather Evita-esque

We guests had our turn on stage for some wild line dancing throughout the evening.  People really boogied on down!  (If the party here is starting to resemble a Bacchanalian feast, the guests increasingly did bring their champagne and drinks on stage.)

Guests in the line dances on stage

The Bride closed with a final song about New York, guests piping in as chorus.  Unfortunately, I didn't know the lyrics since my knowledge of Broadway & West End shows ended with Cats.


Grande finale with the Bride leading a New York song
accompanied by the wedding guest chorus
Video shows director Spike Lee (my sister in-law's film advisor at NYU)!

Of course, it was difficult getting my other cousins, nephews and nieces offstage once they were on.   Family trait?  Here, the wedding guests -- unprompted -- kicked out "New York, New York" after hearing Ol' Blue Eyes crooning.

Wedding guests inspired into high kicks for "New York,  New York"

I now realize how the Talents were divided in my family.  The creativity for art, animation, film & photography, and musical theater manifests itself on my father's side.  My mom's side breeds the straight-laced corporate bankers, lawyers, and intellectuals!  (Family parties on my mom's side require being armed with literary references, barbed wit -- my 98-year old grandma's prowess here is legendary -- and a steady onslaught of multi-syllabic vocabulary.  It's both exhilarating and exhausting to keep a verbal slingshot at the ready!)

Anyhow, it was a memorable evening full of love, music and family.  

As the lights dimmed, we were glad that this really wasn't a show that had just ended.  In fact, the curtains were just lifting for this young couple's life together.

A slip of white making a quiet exit

They have their exits and their entrances  
                                                                 -- continued from "As You Like It"



Do you have any favorite wedding party memories?

-----------------------------


I will try to make my way around everyone's blogs again.  Sorry, I barely had a moment to check the web during my trip to NYC.  I didn't take any pictures of myself either so I am waiting for someone to send me a good outfit post from their camera!

21 comments:

  1. whaaaaat, this wedding is sooooo cool! the venue is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thrilling extravaganza of a wedding and a truly fabulous celebration of a marriage.
    The last photo is breathtaking - with that play of shadow and light it couldn't have been taken by anyone other than you.
    Liked your description of the division of talents in your family too, especially your reference to your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks a lot of fun!!! Great photos for a certainly memorable event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! looks like a fun night

    FRASSY

    www.befrassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. so epic and beautiful. wonderful post, love. thanks for sharing. I'd love if you check out my latest outfit post. It's all about simplistic drama and one of my ultra favorite fall trends. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds lika a funny night, original wedding!Come and visit my blog, and if you like it, follow me, I'll be waiting for you!

    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha this wedding is epic!
    it looks like so much fun~~~
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted my wedding at the beach of Maui with surf lessons afterwards, now I wish that my wedding could be like this wedding of your cousin.

    SO AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL and FULL OF LOVE AND AMAZING PEOPLE. I wish the young couple and your whole family only the best.

    (Thinking of my family, I stick with Maui.)

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how sexy is the newlyweds dancing salsa! and the guests dancing like crazy on stage : fantastic!! you won't see that in france where people are far too shy. I agree with rosalind about the last photo, it is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. As such a musical theater nut, I can't imagine anything more fitting to celebrate a wedding than the opportunity to start in your own musical, cheesy lyrics and all! Definitely a night to remember. I wish I could partake, minus the having to be getting married part. hahaha

    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    playing tall poppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weddings are brilliant I think I have a lot of fun normally! I love when people go crazy and dance and have fun! Last photo is lovely! And yes I did the paintings :) I think is the child inside me that likes drawing faces.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea... the rocking out guests look like professionals and it all looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what an oruiginal wedding! I love the location. All the weddings I have been too ( including mine) were soooo boring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW,so original wedding!!!Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. amazing honey.. looks like a dream.

    I'm very Sad because of Mr Jobs.. thanks to him all of us are happy and we have most simple our life..

    xx

    Have a great weekend! :)

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. my wedding party memories somehow all deal with me trying to hide from relatives!
    this seems like such a memorable wedding..the venue seems just perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish they had wedding parties like that in Greece.

    I just opened a new shop,take a loot if you like :)



    YOUR PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hang on.. did you say your dad's side has film and animation, too? We're going to need to talk!

    What a gift to your cousin and her husband - your tribute - and your photos, words, so moving. I'm typing this in haste - it's my husband's birthday weekend - and he keeps asking 'what are you doing?' and I'm like 'I'll be another minute.'

    Like Roz, I love the last shot especially: such an intimate, magic moment. I also love the way you don't reveal the bride's face: it adds to the privacy, the sacredness, of the union. But what you reveal is their fun, their joy for life!

    My favourite wedding memory was one week ago, tonight: my lovely friend Kate married her half French, half English, diplomat husband during the day, and the party that night - in a really great gastro pub - was described in the invite as 'dress: casual smart.' And the guests - family and friends - were a blend of both sides of your family: very smart, indeed, and yet casual and creative. We've been buzzed from the experience ever since: it was such a class act, such a celebration of love, and the sheer joy of sharing the hope, of two souls joining together, to form a life together.

    Which is all you need in a good wedding.

    Okay - I'd better get back to the Birthday Boy. Just had to put my two cents in! Hope you're having a lovely weekend, Foolish ; ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This made me all goosepimply. What an amazing wedding. What a wonderful start to their married life together. This will be talked about for years to come. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Dear Fellow Aesthetes, I love hearing your thoughts. I think the other readers find them valuable too! Much love xxx

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...